Although just being at camp is enough fun for all, we do offer several out of camp trips for those campers that want some extra adventure! We have a wonderful array of exciting side trips to meet all our camper’s needs!
Also, we will offer a few out-of-camp trips that are not listed below as they do not require sign-up prior to camp or have an additional cost. We will offer these during the camp session and your camper will have the opportunity to sign up for these trips while at camp. These trips include: Sliding Rock, Hikes to Dupont and Pisgah Forest, and a visit to the Carl Sandburg Home!
Please note: Counselors-In-Training are NOT eligible to go on out-of-camp trips. They have too many other exciting adventures while at camp during their last year as a partial camper!
TRIPS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE (below were our 2020 trips)
The Gorge – America’s steepest and fastest zipline canopy tour, offers a thrilling tree-based aerial adventure in Saluda, NC. Begin your experience perched on the rim of the Green River Gorge and plunge into the untouched wilderness. Descend an unprecedented 1,100 vertical feet in elevation zipping from tree top to tree top on 11 ziplines. Traverse a sky bridge and descend 3 huge rappels. All through stunning old growth forest and overlooking 18,000 acres of protected Green River Gamelands.
Requirements: Must be at least a rising 5th grader and weigh a minimum of 80 lbs
Limit: 18 campers
Come see one of America’s greatest treasures located in Asheville, NC. This century old house was designed by George Vanderbilt in the late 19th century. We will explore this beautiful home and take a step back through time, stroll through award-winning gardens, visit the petting zoo and enjoy lunch on the park grounds. Lunch and ice cream is included with this trip.
Requirements: All ages are welcome, but older campers are more appreciative of the history of the home.
Limit: 26 campers
BEGINNER WHITE WATER RAFTING – NANTAHALA RIVER
Our beginner trip is a great, exciting trip to build your confidence on whitewater. The Nantahala River provides us with a scenic ride through the Nantahala River Gorge packed with mixed rapids up to Class III and stretches of smooth water to float and relax. Lunch is provided.
Requirements: You must be at least a rising 3rd grader and weigh 60 pounds or more.
Limit: 26 campers
INTERMEDIATE WHITE WATER RAFTING – PIGEON RIVER
The Pigeon River is an exciting whitewater trip with immediate rapids, waves, and fast moving water. Rapids Range from Class II to IV ensuring an exciting adventure as you raft through the majestic Great Smokey Mountains for the day. Lunch is provided.
Requirements: You must be at least a rising 5th grader and weigh 70 pounds or more. You cannot sign your camper up for this trip and the Pigeon River Zipline as these two trips are on the same day.
Limit: 21 campers
ADVANCED WHITE WATER RAFTING – CHATTOOGA RIVER
This rafting experience takes us to the amazing Chattooga River. Here we take a Class IV and very low Class V run down the river. Wild Water LTD. takes us down the river and provides us all the necessary rafting gear, guides and lunch on the river.
Requirements: Must have previous rafting experience and be at least a rising 7th grader or older.
Limit: 26 campers
PIGEON RIVER ZIPLINE
As the only Zipline Canopy Tour that soars over the Big Pigeon River, this trip is unquestionably the best zipline canopy tour in the Tennessee Smoky Mountains! This trip give you the longest and highest zips including a double 1300′ zip that crosses 120 feet above the Pigeon River!
Requirements: You must be at least a rising 5th grader or older and weigh 70 pounds or more. You cannot sign your camper up for this trip and the Intermediate White Water Rafting as these two trips are on the same day.
Limit: 20 campers
You may sign up for these trips by following the steps below (SIGN UP FOR TRIPS FOR 2021 ARE UNAVAILABLE AT THIS TIME):
1. Go to the following website: Sign Up For Trips Log in using your e-mail address and password; if you do not know your password, choose the option to re-set it. This email may go to your spam box, so please make sure that you check this box as well.
2. Scroll down to Forms Dashboards and click on “Forms & Documents”.
3. Click on “Out of Camp Trips”.
4. Choose the Trips that you would like your camper to go on. Please note that your camper is not completely registered for an out-of-camp trip until the trip is paid for. Camp will automatically charge your credit card on file if one is on file. If you would prefer to mail a check, please contact immediately upon registration.
5. A waiver must be completed on ALL PAID out of camp trips except for the Biltmore House. When you choose which trip your camper would like to attend, a waiver form will automatically be generated in your Forms and Documents file. Please print this form, complete and sign, then either upload the form back into your account or mail this form to Camp Ton-A-Wandah, Attn: Trips, 300 West Ton-A-Wandah Road, Hendersonville, NC 28739.