Although just being at camp is enough fun for all, we do offer several out of camp trips for those campers that want some extra adventure! We have a wonderful array of exciting side trips to meet all our camper’s needs!
Also, we will offer a few out-of-camp trips that are not listed below as they do not require sign-up prior to camp or have an additional cost. We will offer these during the camp session and your camper will have the opportunity to sign up for these trips while at camp. These trips include: Hikes to Dupont and Pisgah Forest and other places in Western NC and a visit to the Carl Sandburg Home for the younger campers!
Please note: Counselors-In-Training are NOT eligible to go on out-of-camp trips. They have too many other exciting adventures while at camp during their last year as a partial camper! This applies to our Starter Session as well!
The Gorge – America’s steepest and fastest zipline canopy tour, offers a thrilling tree-based aerial adventure in Saluda, NC. Begin your experience perched on the rim of the Green River Gorge and plunge into the untouched wilderness. Descend an unprecedented 1,100 vertical feet in elevation zipping from tree top to tree top on 11 ziplines. Traverse a sky bridge and descend 3 huge rappels. All through stunning old growth forest and overlooking 18,000 acres of protected Green River Gamelands.
Requirements: Must be at least a rising 5th grader and weigh a minimum of 80 lbs
Limit: 28 campers per session
Waiver: The Gorge Participant Agreement
BEGINNER WHITE WATER RAFTING – NANTAHALA RIVER
Our beginner trip is a great, exciting trip to build your confidence on whitewater. The Nantahala River provides us with a scenic ride through the Nantahala River Gorge packed with mixed rapids up to Class III and stretches of smooth water to float and relax.
Requirements: Must be at least a rising 3rd grader and weigh 60 pounds or more.
Limit: 26 campers per session
Waiver: Beginner WWR Waiver
ADVANCED WHITE WATER RAFTING – CHATTOOGA RIVER
This rafting experience takes us to the amazing Chattooga River. Here we take a Class IV and very low Class V run down the river. Wild Water LTD. takes us down the river and provides us all the necessary rafting gear, guides and lunch on the river.
Requirements: Must have previous rafting experience and be at least a rising 7th grader or older.
Limit: 26 campers per session
Waiver: Advanced WWR Waiver
WORLEY'S CAVE TRIP
Stalagmites and Stalactites and Spelunking oh my! A guided tour through Tennessee’s second largest cave sends you through tunnels and caverns for an unforgettable adventure. This is a perfect trip for girls who love to explore and get dirty.
Requirements: Must be at least a rising 2nd grader.
Limit: 24 campers per session
Waiver: Worley's Cave Trip
An iconic WNC natural rock slide located in Pisgah National Forest. Slide down the 60fl rock face and plunge into a pool at the bottom to a waiting lifeguard. And did you even go to sliding rock if you didn’t get ice cream from Dolly’s afterward?
Requirements: Any Camper
Limit: 52 campers per session
Waiver: Camp Waiver Signed Upon Application
This is a daily class in which campers develop the skills and teamwork required for a culminating two-night backpacking trip in nearby Pisgah National Forest. Highlights of the trip include beautiful days on the trails, a stunning sunset from the peak of Pilot Mountain, the BEST hidden swimming hole, and s'mores by the campfire under the stars each night! Although this is a class that campers can (and typically do) sign up for at camp, space will be limited this summer. Sign up today for preferential placement!
Requirements: Must be rising 7th grader to rising 10th grader.
Limit: 10 campers per session
Waiver: Advanced Backpacking Waiver
Our Camp Ton-A-Wandah Protocols for Out-of-Camp trips include:
- Hand sanitizing will be conducted upon entering and exiting a van.
- Masks may be required while riding in the van unless the group traveling within the van is the same cabin.
- We will maintain the same neighborhood within a van if possible (although masks will still be required).
- Windows will remain open for ventilation.
- We chose out-of-camp trips that would allow us to be socially distanced in general. If we feel it is necessary to require our campers to wear a mask while in public, we will ask our campers to do so.
You may sign up for these trips by following the steps below:
1. Go to the following website: Sign Up For Trips Log in using your e-mail address and password; if you do not know your password, choose the option to re-set it. This email may go to your spam box, so please make sure that you check this box as well.
2. Scroll down to Forms Dashboards and click on “Forms & Documents”.
3. Click on “Out of Camp Trips”.
4. Choose the Trips that you would like your camper to go on. Please note that your camper is not completely registered for an out-of-camp trip until the trip is paid for. Camp will automatically charge your credit card on file if one is on file. If you would prefer to mail a check, please contact immediately upon registration.
5. A waiver must be completed on ALL PAID out of camp trips. When you choose which trip your camper would like to attend, a waiver form will automatically be generated in your Forms and Documents file. Please print this form, complete and sign, then either upload the form back into your account or mail this form to Camp Ton-A-Wandah, Attn: Trips, 300 West Ton-A-Wandah Road, Hendersonville, NC 28739.